The Scarecrow Contest returns!
WHO CAN ENTER?
Individuals, families, companies, not-for-profit community groups and organizations
(All groups must have at least one adult representative)
- Individual: Entry must be made by the individual whose name appears on the registration form.
- Family: Entry must be made by members of the family whose names appear on the registration form.
- Company: Two or more individuals working together.
- Not-for-profit/Community Group or Organization: Could include schools, churches, classrooms, sports teams, clubs, scout troops, etc.
Use your imagination to select a theme for your scarecrow. Whether you choose a traditional, contemporary or humorous approach, is up to you. Your scarecrow can be whimsical, frightening, funny, etc. – – but must be in good taste and not include any political messaging.
PRIZES FOR EACH CATEGORY (Oh Yes, there are prizes!)
- Individual: $25 + one complimentary Individual Membership to Wellfield Botanic Gardens
- Family: $50 + one complimentary Family Membership to Wellfield Botanic Gardens
- Company: $50, return admission passes for all members of your group, and the fame from dedicated Facebook and Instagram posts, a Tweet from our Twitter account as well as your name on our website as the winner!
- Not-for-profit: $75, return admission passes for all members of your group, and the glory that comes from dedicated Facebook and Instagram posts, a Tweet from our Twitter account as well as your name on our website as the winner!
$25 non-refundable entry fee is required to accompany application form. Application below (include payment and mail or drop-off) or register online at wellfieldgardens.org
Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at 2 p.m. on Sunday, September 24 at the Scarecrow Picnic (attendance is not necessary to win)
DELIVERY OF ENTRIES:
Entrants are responsible for delivering their fully assembled scarecrows to Wellfield by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, September 20.
All entries must remain at Wellfield through November 5, 2017.
Judging will occur on Thursday, September 21 through Sunday, September 24 in the Gardens and on Social Media. Public voting will account for a percentage of the judges’ final scoring to determine winners in each category.
- Up to 3 metal fence posts WILL BE PROVIDED by Wellfield and placed in the ground for attaching the scarecrow (we’ll work with you on their location/spacing). There is approximately 5 feet of exposed post upon which the scarecrow/decorations must be attached.
- The builder of the scarecrows must provide a method for attaching the scarecrow to the fence post.
- Minimum Height of display: 4 feet / Maximum Width: 8 feet
- The entire structure of the exhibit is considered to be the dimension of the scarecrow entry – not the dimension of the actual scarecrow. Your exhibit may include more than one figure and can have additional supports, but those supports cannot penetrate the ground.
- It is understood that Wellfield Botanic Gardens may use photographs of, stories about and the actual scarecrow entries themselves for publicity and promotion of the event.
- Scarecrow entries will remain out-of-doors from set-up date until November 5 and may be subject to severe wind and/or rain; their construction should be durable and all ornamentation securely attached. Careful consideration should be given to using perishable materials (e.g. carved pumpkins) as these items may not last.
- Consider using repurposed, recycled and found materials in your design! We appreciate nods to sustainability!
- KINETIC ENTRIES: No flammable, electrical or battery-operated items can be used including, but not limited to tiki torches, gas-powered generators, lighting, etc. As no electricity is available for kinetic scarecrows, creativity utilizing solar and wind powered features are welcomed.