Wellfield Botanic Gardens is many things to many people – and a dynamic, diverse habitat for over 100 bird species throughout the year!
Whether you’re a world-class birder or curious first-timer exploring a new hobby, Wellfield is an ideal location to walk and easily observe a broad diversity of species due to Wellfield’s various themed gardens and habitat types that attract a wide range of wildlife. We encourage self-guided walks anytime during business hours, but if you’d like a little guidance from an expert in the field, check out our scheduled, guided bird walks.
Join Audubon Society member and Indiana Master Naturalist Mary Kauffmann-Kennel for family-friendly bird walks along Wellfield trails to see and hear the numerous bird species that live and frequent our wonderful habitat. Dress for the weather, wear comfortable walking shoes, bring any bird guide books you have and binoculars (not required). Beginning and experienced birders are welcome. The walk generally lasts about an hour, but could go longer depending on the group.
Bird Walks are included with Membership or Standard Admission ($8 adults/$4 children ages 3-12). Reciprocal privileges honored. Please REGISTER HERE for upcoming walks (or walk-in registrations are accepted)
- Saturday, February 16 at 1 p.m. – a special walk occurring as a part of the Great Backyard Bird Count.
First Saturday Bird Walks (April through September) begin at 8 a.m.
- Saturday, April 6, 8 a.m.
- Saturday, May 4, 8 a.m.
- Saturday, June 1, 8 a.m.
- Saturday, July 6, 8 a.m.
- Saturday, August 3, 8 a.m.
- Saturday, September 7, 8 a.m.
Monday evening Bird Walks (April 8-June 10) begin at 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 8, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 15, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 22, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 29, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, May 6, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, May 13, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, May 20, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, May 27, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, June 3, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, June 10, 5:30 p.m.
For more birding information, events, local knowledge and FUN, check out these resources:
- South Bend-Elkhart Audubon Society Check out their Resources for Birders page – – GREAT information, including a printable field checklist for this area!
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s All About Birds website – terrific for online birding identification, with links to educational articles about birds, birding ID, bird biology, nest box building, information about ebird and Merlin apps for bird identification on the go!
- And don’t forget to join and like a local birding FACEBOOK page in your area – – for our immediate area, we suggest: