Elkhart’s Gateway Mile.
Live. Work. Play. Learn
It’s fitting that Wellfield Botanic Gardens leads visitors into downtown Elkhart’s Gateway Mile. Both are packed with infinite options for fun and fitness, immersive learning and hands-on fun.
The Gateway Mile marks a city that’s becoming … a center for the arts, a magnet for families, a hub for entrepreneurship. It’s flanked by Wellfield Botanic Gardens at the northern end and the National New York Central Railroad Museum at its southernmost point. Along the way, this walkable stretch of pedestrian-friendly city streets and waterside paths invite endless opportunities.
Downtown Ekhart’s Gateway Mile. Our invitation to explore a city infused with renewed energy and enthusiasm. Your chance to experience…
- RiverWalk Culture Trail – A set-your-own-pace walking tour lined with inviting sites & stops including museums, parks, gardens and creative spaces. Download the free app here
- Dining – from cafés to coffee houses, Elkhart ‘s eateries range from Riverfront dining to outdoor casual and family-friendly. You’ll find everything from cupcakes and craft beers. Check out places to eat in downtown Elkhart here
- Shopping – Vintage clothing to upcycled finds
- Outdoor adventure – Elkhart’s RiverWalk connects scenic vistas, two rivers and a necklace of greenways.
- Eclectic events year-round
- An entrepreneurial spirit that drives locally owned and innovative businesses
- Living spaces that creatively mix modern amenities into century-old settings