Celebrate the Japanese art of bonsai (tree in a pot or ‘tray planting’). Explore a gallery of different bonsai styles, trained tree miniature versions of the natural form. Learn from internationally-recognized bonsai artists Pauline Muth and Bill Valavanis. Enjoy perusing bonsai displays and vendors, live demonstrations, and bonsai critiques by the experts, all free with regular admission. Shop for bonsai-related wares at vendor tables. Register for and experience Beginning Bonsai 101 Workshops taught by Pauline Muth and Bill Valavanis and come away with your very own bonsai!
COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS – – Please review our ‘Modified Visitation Plan’, (on our homepage) which emphasizes the health and safety of guests, volunteers, and staff while allowing for enjoyment of the grounds before visiting.
Schedule of Events (subject to change)
- 8-9 a.m. Exhibitors load-in their trees/displays, vendor set up
- 10:00 a.m. Show opens, tree exhibit & vendors open
- 10-11:30 a.m. Demonstration
- 10 a.m.- 12 p.m. *Beginning Bonsai 101 Workshop with Bill Valavanis – REGISTER HERE
- 10:30-10:50 a.m. Presentation: “What is Bonsai?” (Pauline Muth, Artist)
- 11 a.m.-12 p.m. Critique Session of Exhibitors (Pauline Muth, Artist)
- 1-2 p.m. Critique Session of Exhibitors
- 1-3 p.m. *Beginning Bonsai 101 Workshop with Pauline Muth – REGISTER HERE
- 1:30-1:50 p.m. Presentation: “What is Bonsai?” (Bill Valavanis, Artist)
- 3-4 p.m. Critique Session of Exhibitors (Bill Valavanis, Artist)
- 4:00 p.m. Show closes, Thanks for coming!
- 4-6 p.m. Vendor and exhibitor take down
Meet our featured artists and workshop instructors:
Pauline Muth has been studying, learning, and practicing bonsai for over 40 years and has traveled across the country and internationally teaching bonsai. She began her journey in bonsai studying botany in college and now maintains a collection of hardy and non-hardy trees set in a large garden space. Pauline has extensive experience across several bonsai organizations, serving in numerous leadership capacities, conference facilitation, and associated activities….Click here for instructor bios
William Valavanis is a professional bonsai artist, educator and scholar, and has been studying bonsai for nearly 60 years. Two horticultural degrees, a 30 year study with Yuji Yoshimura, and bonsai apprenticeship in Omiya Bonsai Village have provided him with the solid background to continue learning and sharing his bonsai knowledge, skill and creative beauty around the world. He has been publishing International BONSAI magazine, the first and only professional bonsai magazine in the United States for 42 years….Click here for instructor bios
Exhibitors and Vendors:
Want to be a part of the show? Are you interested in being a participating bonsai exhibitor or vendor selling bonsai-related items and equipment? Please register through the links below:
- Exhibitor Registration – I am a bonsai artist and would like to display my bonsai for guests to enjoy and learn from!
- Vendor Registration – I am a bonsai equipment/materials vendor and would like to sell items related to the art of bonsai.
*”Beginning Bonsai 101″ Workshops Requires Advanced Registration
Have you ever wanted to try your hand at bonsai? Don’t miss this opportunity to learn from experts in an intimate setting in which you’ll walk away with your very own bonsai after the two-hour introductory workshop. Internationally-known bonsai artists Pauline Muth and Bill Valavanis lead “Beginning Bonsai 101” workshops at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. in which all participants will be given hands-on instruction for selection, planting, shaping and styling, as well as care and maintenance of their very own bonsai. This introduction to bonsai also includes a brief history of this amazing art form, a primer on tree selection and cultivation, and resources that will have your enjoying your bonsai experience for years to come. All materials are included, workshop is limited to just 10 participants to ensure a quality, hands-on experience for all. You will walk away with your own starter bonsai tree in a pot! Workshops are intended for those ages 18 and older.
Wellfield Member Price: $135
Non-member price: $155 and includes a new Individual-Level Membership (a $35 value)