For immediate release: May 12, 2020 [DOWNLOAD FULL PRESS RELEASE HERE]
Wellfield Botanic Gardens Announces Spring Opening May 22
A ‘Modified Visitation Plan’ emphasizes the health and safety of guests, volunteers, and staff while allowing for enjoyment of the grounds during spring bloom.
The typical spring at Wellfield is bustling with members and guests from around the region and the most frequently asked questions include “What flower is this?”, “Can I book a tour for my group?”, and “Do you offer wedding venue rentals?” But due to the Coronavirus pandemic, this is not a typical spring. Instead, this year’s most frequently asked question has been, “WHEN will Wellfield be open?”
After crafting a thorough ‘Modified Visitation Plan’ that prioritizes the health and safety of guests, volunteers, and staff, Wellfield will open its doors to the public beginning Friday, May 22. Wellfield’s spacious 36 acres, wide pathways, and stunning landscapes are an ideal environment for “social distancing” between families and friends. While the guest entry experience may look and feel a little different, Wellfield’s spring beauty is as gorgeous as ever. Entering through the Visitors Cottage, guests will be greeted by friendly staff and volunteers wearing face coverings, positioned behind a desk with a clear plexiglass barrier. In addition to more volunteers and staff onsite to safely interact with and inform guests of current guidelines, visitors will observe noticeable precautions in place throughout their experience that encourage ‘physical distancing’, a critical factor in reducing the spread of Coronavirus – – and a term the Garden’s leadership prefers over “social distancing”.
The Modified Visitation Plan includes the following guidelines in place for the health and safety of guests, volunteers, and staff:
- Wellfield is open daily from 12-6 p.m. beginning Friday, May 22
- Restrooms are closed.
- All drinking fountains are turned off.
- Credit card transactions only. For admission pricing and membership options visit wellfieldgardens.org. Members receive free admission every day.
- When approaching the Visitors Cottage, please maintain physical distance and wait until you are welcomed in by staff.
- Face coverings must be worn when passing through the Visitors Cottage; consider wearing face coverings at all times in public as recommended by the Indiana State Department of Health and the CDC.
- One person at the desk at a time (the rest of your party will be directed through the Visitors Cottage)
- The main Garden path will be “one-way,” with a counter-clockwise flow.
- Maintain at least 6-feet of physical distancing from others not in your household.
- The Children’s Garden will remain closed until further notice.
- Limited retail space access (staff or volunteers can assist with selecting items).
- Do not congregate in the Visitors Cottage or around other garden structures.
- Please check wellfieldgardens.org or our Facebook page for a complete list of guidelines and updates prior to your visit.
Wellfield would like to thank its valued members and donors for their continued support through the pandemic by offering a special Member Appreciation Week, granting members early access to Wellfield beginning Friday, May 15 through Thursday, May 21, from 12-6 p.m.
- Member access will be granted to members named on the card plus eligible children or grandchildren. Membership cards or identification must be shown.
- Ambassador, Sustainer, Best Buds, and Perennial Partner-level Members may bring guests as allowed by their memberships.
- Reciprocal admission will not be honored during Member Appreciation Week.
- All other guidelines apply from above.
- Not a member yet, or need to renew? You can join or renew online in advance at wellfieldgardens.org or at the Visitors Cottage when you arrive to gain entry during Member Appreciation Week.
Wellfield will evaluate the current guidelines, along with recommendations from public health officials, on a weekly basis when determining changes to operating hours or updates to guidelines.
Robert and Peggy Weed Executive Director