- Applications must be received by Monday, September 12, 2016
- Scarecrow entries must be installed by 5 p.m. on Saturday, September 17
- WINNERS and prizes will be awarded at 2 p.m. at the Scarecrow Picnic on Sunday, September 18
WHO CAN ENTER?
Individuals, families, companies, not-for-profit community groups and organizations
(All groups must have at least one adult representative)
- Individual: Entry must be made by the individual whose name appears on the registration form.
- Family: Entry must be made by members of the family whose names appear on the registration form.
- Company: Two or more individuals working together.
- Not-for-profit community group or organization (could include businesses, classrooms, sports teams, clubs, scout troops, etc.
Use your imagination to select a theme for your scarecrow. Whether you choose a traditional, contemporary or humorous approach, is up to you. Your scarecrow can be whimsical, frightening, funny, etc. – – but must be in good taste and not include any political messaging.
PRIZES FOR EACH CATEGORY (Oh Yes, there are prizes!)
- Individual: $25 + one complimentary Individual Membership to Wellfield Botanic Gardens
- Family: $50 + one complimentary Family Membership to Wellfield Botanic Gardens
- Company: $50 and the fame from dedicated Facebook and Instagram posts, a Tweet from our Twitter account as well as your name on our website as the winner!
- Not-for-profit: $75, return admission passes for all members of your group and the glory that comes from dedicated Facebook and Instagram posts, a Tweet from our Twitter account as well as your name on our website as the winner!
$25 non-refundable entry fee is required to accompany application form. Application below (include payment and mail or drop-off) or register online at wellfieldgardens.org
Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at 2 p.m. on Sunday, September 18 at the Scarecrow Picnic (attendance is not necessary to win)
DELIVERY OF ENTRIES:
Entrants are responsible for bringing and installing their fully assembled scarecrows to Wellfield by 5 p.m. on Saturday, September 17. Installation may begin as early as Monday, September 12.
Wellfield staff or volunteers will be on hand to assist entrants in locating designated position sites and support installation. All entries must remain at Wellfield through November 13, 2016.
Judging will occur on Sunday, September 18 at the Scarecrow Picnic. Public voting that day will account for a percentage of the judges’ final scoring to determine winners in each category.
- Up to 3 metal fence posts (studded, T-style posts) WILL BE PROVIDED by Wellfield and placed in the ground for attaching the scarecrow. There is approximately 5 feet of exposed post upon which the scarecrow/decorations must be attached. The builder of the scarecrows must provide a method for attaching the scarecrow.
- Additional supports may be provided but cannot penetrate the ground.
- Minimum Height of display: 4 feet / Maximum Width: 8 feet
- The entire structure of the exhibit is considered to be the dimension of the scarecrow entry – not the dimension of the actual scarecrow. Your exhibit may include more than one figure and can have additional supports, but those supports cannot penetrate the ground.
- It is understood that Wellfield Botanic Gardens may use photographs of, stories about and the actual scarecrow entries themselves for publicity and promotion of the event.
- Scarecrow entries must remain out-of-doors from set-up date until November 13 and may be subject to severe wind and/or rain; their construction should be durable and all ornamentation securely attached. Careful consideration should be given to carved pumpkins or other living materials.
- Consider using repurposed, recycled and found materials in your design! We appreciate nods to sustainability!
- KINETIC ENTRIES: No flammable, electrical or battery-operated items can be used including, but not limited to tiki torches, gas-powered generators, lighting, etc. As no electricity is available for kinetic scarecrows, creativity utilizing solar and wind powered features are welcomed.